HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Pediatric Cardilogy Search

Help plz

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
aride5377

Age : 41 Registration date : 2008-02-22 Number of posts : 1 Category (Faculty/ Student/ Parent/ Kid/Guest) : parent

PostSubject: Help plz   Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:13 pm

I have a son of 7 moths old and he was diagonised ASD(8mm).Plz SUGGEST ME WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO.

Impression:- ACHD,FOSSA OVALIS ASD(8mm) L-R Shunt.Aneurysmal IAS.

And his rest of the echo cardiography report is like this.

Situs solitus,

levocardia.

AV & VA concordance.

d-loop of ventricles.

normally related great artries.

fossa ovalis ASD(8MM) L-R SHUNT

Aneurysmal IAS

tiny closing PDA

Trivial tr (TR GRADIENT 26MM hg)

large PDA(4.4MM) L-R shunt

normal ventricular dimension and function

no LVOT/RVOT obstruction

normal pulmonary venous drainage

no coarctation

no pericardial pathology

So this is what his report after 5 days of his birth.

I will be waiting for ur suggestion.

Thanx Aride
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

Age : Registration date : 2007-12-13 Number of posts : 16 Category (Faculty/ Student/ Parent/ Kid/Guest) :

PostSubject: Re: Fossa Ovalis ASD   Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:21 pm

Hello ..your child is having a secundum Atrial septal defect (ASD) of 8 mm. The septum is a wall that separates the heart's left and right sides. Septal defects are sometimes called a "hole" in the heart. A defect between the heart's two upper chambers (the atria) is called an atrial septal defect (ASD).When there is a large defect between the atria, a large amount of oxygen-rich (red) blood leaks from the heart's left side back to the right side. Then this blood is pumped back to the lungs, despite already having been refreshed with oxygen. This is inefficient, because already-oxygenated blood displaces blood that needs oxygen.

This condition is usually asymptomatic in the childhood and symptoms usually appear by 20-30yrs of life.So we have to close the defect .Closing an atrial septal defect in childhood can prevent serious problems later in life. The long-term outlook is excellent. If atrial septal defects are diagnosed in adulthood, the defect is also repaired.Spontaneous closure of even smaller ASD are rare beyond 3years so an elective closure of ASD is done between 3 and 5 years of life.

So if your child is asymptomatic ,nothing needs to be done now.Wait and do repeat echo at 1 year. If the defect is persisting after 3 years and is not closing your child needs a surgery...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pedheart.forum0.net

Help plz

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Ped Heart Parents Corner :: Parents Corner: Ask a Question -